Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dune

Dune was definitely not a quick read. While I gave it a good try, I was not able to finish the thing. I don't really find myself drawn to reading politics, and that's what the majority of the portion I read felt like. The pace of the book was painfully slow, and although there were elements that seemed interesting that were going to be explored later in the book, it seemed as if it could take months or years to arrive at them. When the Baron was explaining the setup of the plot to his nephew, I. The worst example of pacing and politics I encountered during my reading attempt was when the Baron was explaining the setup of the plot to his nephew, Feyd-Rautha. I can understand why Feyd-Rautha was constantly growing more and more impatient in that scene, since I was waiting for that scene to end with greater and greater anticipation as well. In almost direct opposition to my personal tastes, the book spends an awfully long time on exposition rather than focusing on the present moment, and that scene highlights it especially. The Baron and Piter have a very extensive discussion about the politcs of Arrakis, and the only thing of real meaning revealed (given what we know so far in the story) is that Paul is in danger because they're plotting to kill him for political reasons. In my opinion, the specifics of the politics of a society only matter in a story when they directly affect the characters in a meaningful way. Even then, I feel it's only necessary to only reveal elements that pertain to the characters, and omit explaining the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment